I watched a bit of the Super Bowl. However, I consciously chose the Canadian broadcaster. This had no effect on the game or even the commentary during the game. And it all comes down to the advertising.
See, the way things work in Canada is that the rights holder for broadcasting usually gets the rights to all broadcasts in Canada, and bids accordingly and sells advertisements on that basis. Of course that meant that we didn’t get to see those famous Superbowl commercials when they aired. People found this annoying.
That’s right. People complained that they didn’t get to see the commercials. They complain about how many there are normally. Somehow these are different.
Not sure why that is. I mean, really. When the game is over, you will probably find all of these commercials on YouTube.
Let me lay out my complaint in bullet points.
- The people who paid for the rights did so with the knowledge that they had the broadcast rights for all of Canada.
- Advertisers who bought commercial time on these channels for this broadcast did so thinking that they had the total Canadian audience.
- The decision to change this came about a week before the game.
- When the CRTC gets sued because of the above situation (and I a sure they will) whatever fine they have to pay will be paid with taxpayer dollars–not to mention all the legal fees that will be incurred.
- The decision was based on allowing Canadians to see commercials that we wouldn’t otherwise be able to see during the broadcast.
- Usually people have little or no desire to watch commercials–hence the rise of Netflix and other streaming services, not to mention PVR use.
- These commercials may be for products or services that we do not have access to.
- These very same commercials are already probably available on YouTube.
Sorry for the rant…..but I felt that I had to say something. Is this the worst thing happening in the world? Not by a long shot. Is this the worst thing happening to me and the people around me? No, not at all. Shouldn’t I be complaining about other, more important injustices? I should, but other people are doing that better than I can, and are much better informed about those injustices.